Thursday 4 September 2008

Week 50 - Sweet Sixteen?

It’s not just time that is running away faster than the Prime Minister from his Chancellor; it’s my thoughts.

As my total of weeks slams into the fifties, I am trying my level best not to think about that week 53. The week beyond the year. But like taxes, death and my wife’s ever-expanding shoe collection, there’s a sense of inevitability about it all.

Suddenly, now that the finish line is in sight, I am starting to think about the next stage. Selling the thing.

...but not yet. As of today, I still have 16 days left. Sixteen days to finish the final draft and open that bottle of something special that has been waiting patiently for the last year.

But how close am I? Well - as ever - I am behind where I need to be. There’s certainly more than 16 days’ worth of work to fit into those few remaining hours.

It was, of course, ever thus. Where would be the fun if it all went to plan?

So for the next two and a bit weeks, it’s time for caffeine-fuelled, bleary-eyed, hermit-like work madness.

By this time next week (Blog 51), we’ll probably know if I’m going to make it. The following week (52) we’ll know for sure.

And then...on 20th September as the clock chimes the end of my year-long odyssey, I’ll let you know the title.